Sunday, April 17, 2016

April 16th - Yokohama (Tokyo), Japan

I made it! In 2014 my sail here was cancelled due to a typhoon warning, so
the port was closed - the bonus then was that we sailed along the western
coast and got to stop at less visited ports.

Made the scenic drive into Tokyo to the Asakusa district, once a notorious
entertainment area. Visited the Senso-ji Temple, the head temple of the
Soto Sect of Zen Buddhism. According to legend the golden image of Kannan,
enshrined here, was fished out of the river in 628.

Next we headed over to the city center and the Imperial Palace Plaza. Since
I am not royalty, an invitation was not extended to come inside, so I had to
view the grounds of Japan's Emperor and the Fushimi-Yagura watchtower from
outside the gates.

Stopped for lunch and then went over to check out the Ginza district - the
Paris of Tokyo. It was Saturday and so crowded that many of the streets were
closed to pedestrians only. Prices are high in Japan, so I knew I could get
anything offered here for less money in Denver, and not have to worry about
being over my weight limit on the flight home. Great people watching - no
sweats or track suits seen here - it was really nice to see everyone dressed
so nicely for their day of shopping and dining.

Another visit to this wonderful city tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment