Saturday, September 12, 2015

September 10th - Lerwick, Shetland Islands, Scotland

The skies were cloudy at times - but lucky for us, it was sunny most of the
day. It was also fortunate for the local shop keepers, since we are the last
cruise ship to visit this season.

I had planned on visiting Mousa Sound, seeing the harbor porpoise, the grey
seals, the Age Broch and hiking around this island full of history and
wildlife, but due to rough seas and high winds I was not able to get there.
Guess I will have to visit here another time.

Luckily I was able to get on the ship's tour to see the "Shetland Ponies and
Scalloway Castle".

Our guide, Edna was born and raised here, and had five brothers. She was
raised on an island where she and her brothers were the only children in the
school, and when they turned twelve, had to go live on the mainland so they
could continue with their schooling - in her words "one grew up very
quickly". He father rowed across to the main island each day to work in the
quarry - he lived until he was 91.

When I got off the ship I was so excited to see the Shetland Fudge Company
and knew I would be paying a visit. Unfortunately, I was disappointed, there
was nothing there except boxed candies, probably for the best.

As one can imagine, the wind turbines here work 24-7 as there is no shortage
of wind.

Headed outside of the city enjoying the fantastic scenery along the way.
Stopped at Scalloway Castle, then while everyone was visiting the museum, I
decided to take a walk around the village. I got to have my own private
Shetland pony visit as they came down to the fence to greet me. They must
use an extra volume shampoo on those manes. When I went to the "official"
Shetland pony exhibit visit, I was told it was okay to pet the animals - I
was surprised how course and oily the manes and coats felt.

I could not resist taking a picture of the Clydesdale Bank in this land of
the Shetland Pony - someone was thinking bigger!

No comments:

Post a Comment