Thursday, October 30, 2014

October 29th - Singapore Part 1

I spent a lot of time in the beautiful city this spring so I revisited some
of my favorite places and took in a few new ones this trip.

After enjoying a great morning sail in getting cleared to leave the ship I
bought a two-day metro pass. Hopped on the metro and headed over to
Chinatown to take in the sights. Chinatown is one of the many remaining
"define" quarters created in the early 1800s in the town plan of Singapore.
There were not a lot of tourists out and about yet, so I walked around,
enjoying the sights and seeing what the shops and stalls along the streets
had to offer for sale.

This visit I made it past the first floor of the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple.
This temple is very ornate and has been restored beautifully. Heading up to
the fourth floor one finds the sacred tooth relic of the Buddha and further
up is the rooftop garden and quiet rooftop garden with a prayer wheel.

As the streets started filling up with tourist, I headed over to the
Singapore River. I walked along the river passing by Clarke Quay and the
Fullerton Hotel as I made my way to Marina Bay for some daylight photos of
the city and Marina Bay Sands Hotel. At one end of the bay stands the
MerLion, half fish and half lion, symbolizing the unity of the lion city and
the sea, guarding the Singapore River. The river has lovely walkways along
both sides and every once in a while you could catch a cool breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment